Natural gas, or gas:
- Is a fossil fuel composed almost entirely of methane
- Contains small amounts of other gases, including ethane, propane, butane and pentane
- Is often called ‘natural gas’ because it is a naturally occurring hydrocarbon (i.e., a particle made of hydrogen and carbon atoms)
- Is a widely used source of energy in homes for heating, cooking and washing
- In its natural state is odorless, colorless and flammable
- Has odorants added during distribution to make it detectable using human olfaction capabilities or more simply, the sense of smell
About Gas Consumption
British Thermal Units
- Natural gas, like other forms of heat energy, is measured in British thermal units or BTU. One BTU is equivalent to the heat needed to raise the temperature of one
pound of water by one-degree Fahrenheit at atmosphere pressure.
- A cubic foot of natural gas has about 1,027 BTUs. However, consumer bills are usually measured in heat content or therms. One therm is a unit of heating equal to
In its original state, natural gas is odorless and colorless. The highly recognizable and unpleasant smell of gas, is attributable to gas distribution companies
adding odorants that smell like rotten eggs through a process known as odorization. Odorants are sulfur compounds like ethanethiol or mercaptan which are expressly added to make gas leaks
Gas plumbing is anything that involves the installation and maintenance of natural gas lines and pipes for homes and businesses. The residential gas plumbing
system, known as the Gas Delivery System (GDS), is the gas plumbing between the gas meter and a home’s gas type appliances. The GDS has two primary components including the:
- Gas Line (GL) – the underground gas pipe that runs between the gas meter and the connection to the Gas Supply System
- Gas Supply System (GSS) the intra-building pipes that delivery gas to gas consuming appliances
Some of the most common gas appliances are:
- Water Heaters - An appliance that heats water above it ambient temperature. A natural gas water heater is an extremely efficient way to heat water and heats
water twice as fast as an electric water heater of the same size and rating
- Gas Range – A gas range is a large cooking stove in which the combustion of gas is used as the source of heat and is a popular way to cook because it heats quickly
and allows instant and infinite temperature control
- Gas Barbeque Grill – A barbecue grill is a device that cooks food by applying gas generated heat from below. There are several varieties of grills, with most falling
into one of two categories: gas-fueled or charcoal.
- Gas Fireplace - A fireplace is a structure made of brick, stone or metal designed to contain a fire. The fire inside the unit is real and operates in a similar
fashion to a gas-oven. The burner is hidden by the logs that enable the flames to spread. Gas fireplaces are used for the relaxing ambiance they create and for heating a room
- Gas Clothes Dryer - A clothes dryer is a powered household appliance that is used to remove moisture from a load of clothing and other textiles, usually shortly
after they are washed in a washing machine. With a gas dryer, air is first drawn into the dryer, and then passes through a gas fueled heating apparatus that warms the clothes in the tumbler,
and then collects the moisture and exhausts it out of the dryer via a venting system.
Although many building and homeowners only associate plumbers with water and waste, plumbers also repair, replace, and install gas-plumbing systems for natural
gas. GPS Plumbing, a full-service plumbing company, offers a comprehensive set of gas-plumbing services that range:
- From installing new gas lines
- To finding and fixing leaks
- To hooking up gas appliances
- To relocating gas lines due to remodels, and more – we do it all.
If you are looking for help with the installation of gas lines to new appliances or repair of existing lines, valves, or gas fittings/components you will appreciate
the friendly, professional service and great value you receive from GPS Plumbing.
We are competent and experienced in gas line plumbing and offer a comprehensive and complete set of detection, repair, replacement, installation, and maintenance
Our gas line services focus on:
- Leak Detection and Repair – We find and fix gas leaks in GL and GSS pipes, fittings, valves, and other gas plumbing components
- GL Plumbing – We repair, replace and install gas lines from the gas meter to the GSS
- GSS Plumbing - We repair and install new or replacement gas lines, supply lines, and gas valves, and other gas plumbing components for gas cooktops, ranges,
dryers, outside BBQ grills, swimming pool heaters, space heaters, furnaces, fire pits, outdoor kitchens, mood lighting, spa heaters, other gas appliances
- Gas Line Sizing - We size any gas line for any gas appliance or fixture
- Gas Line Maintenance - We can provide an annual service that finds and fixes problems before they become a gas leak
Whether you need your gas piping repaired, replaced or a completely new line installed, GPS Plumbing is the right choice for all your gas plumbing needs. We are
licensed, insured, honest, clean, professional, experienced, and competent in all phases of gas line plumbing.
If you smell rotten eggs or a sulfuric smell, this is a clear indication that you have a gas leak.
Caution is the best policy when it comes to gas leaks; the slightest spark, even a static shock can cause the leaking gas to explode.
Gas Leak Safety Tips
If you suspect a gas leak, follow these safety tips:
- Do not attempt to locate the leak yourself
- Leave the vicinity immediately but do not use an automated door. Leave the door open behind you to ventilate the
- Warn others to leave the premises, and do not allow others to enter
- Do not turn off or on any electric switches, thermostats, or appliance controls - they may cause sparks that can ignite leaking
- Do not start or stop an engine
- Do not smoke or use any open flames
- From a safe distance, call the Gas Company and 9-1-1
- When digging outside, if you damage a natural gas line, call the utility immediately. Do not attempt to repair the line
- Contact GPS Plumbing when the Gas Company shuts off the gas and determines that the gas leak is somewhere beyond the gas meter and the
repair is now the responsibility of the building owner